Need help with your case?


How to Make Charitable Donations Before Tax Year Ends

There are many charitable donations that could affect your tax obligations for 2014. Many charitable donations may qualify as tax deductions which will potentially lower your overall taxable income. However, you must donate to a qualified institution.  You cannot just give money away to another person or organization of your choice. Typically, qualified institutions are one of the following nonprofit groups:

  • Religious group
  • Educational group
  • Charitable group

It is important that you make your donation to a non-profit organization. 

You will want to keep proper records of your tax donation. Many organizations will give you a receipt of your charitable donation, but you should also have your bank statement or credit card statement as well. You will need to show the amount of the donation, the date, and name of the organization.

If you make a non-cash charitable contribution, then you need to keep detailed records for your tax deduction.  The guidelines for your records depend on the amount of your donation. For example, if you drop off clothes at Goodwill valued at $150, then you need to keep a record of the organizations name, address, date, location of donation, and description of the property donated. If your donation exceeds $250 but is under $500, it is important that you get a receipt from the organization in addition to the other information above. However, if you donate a car valued at $10,000, you are required to keep much more detailed records. It is best to talk with a Colorado Tax Lawyer if you are thinking of making a non-cash charitable contribution above $500.

There are many ways to properly donate to charity this year that will lower your taxable income.  If you are thinking of giving either a cash or non-cash charitable contribution and would like to discuss it with Colorado Tax Attorneys, contact Politte Law today. You can call us at 303-261-8044 or fill out our online form. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

When are Legal Settlements Taxable?

February 8, 2016

More often than not, the taxability of an award or legal settlement is not on the forefront of a person’s mind when they are a party to a dispute or a lawsuit. Yet the tax implications of an award or legal settlement are important and should not be ignored, or there may be issues down […]


What if a Contractor or Vendor Refuses to Provide a W-9 for a 1099?

February 1, 2016

In our last blog, Filing a Form 1099, we discussed business’s 1099 filing requirements. Here, we will discuss what a business should do if a contractor, vendor, or other person will not provide the information necessary for the business to prepare and file a 1099. If a business (including sole proprietors) pays a contractor, vendor, […]


Filing a Form 1099

January 25, 2016

You have a business, and your business paid an independent contractor, vendor, or other person for services, goods, or rent sometime during the year. Perhaps you paid an accountant to do your bookkeeping, or an attorney to advise you regarding a contract.  Maybe you paid someone to do some overflow work for you for a few weeks […]


Follow Politte Law on Social Media

Connect with Politte Law on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. We update our social media platforms with the latest news from our firm, general tax law information, and much more.

Contact Politte Law For a Consultation Today.